It is common for people to be dismissive of conflict until escalates and they need to respond, meaning significant damage to individuals and teams may have already occurred.
Our turnaround coaching addresses behavioural modification, as is the case with all effective coaching. But where coaching relates to parties involved in or emerging from workplace conflict, the approach must be cognisant of likely remnants of dispute. We dig deep into the root causes, often varying significantly because of individual’s unique perspectives to conflict. Whether a workplace conflict is perceived broadly bubbling on the surface or swirling in the depths of interpersonal dynamics, sometimes individuals immersed in disruptive or dysfunctional behaviour are oblivious to their impact.
We approach turnaround coaching from a unique perspective – our dispute resolution expertise. It is critical to explore how individuals often unwittingly fall into, conflict and how this becomes a unique starting point for a coaching program.
Turnaround Coaching is a proactive, alternative strategy for organisations to support individuals who are in conflict or displaying counter productive behaviours.
Turnaround Coaching takes different forms and is utilised in different ways.
- Maybe there are some symptoms of disruption in relationships with other employees or stakeholders and an employee’s self awareness needs closer exploration.
- Early intervention where the employee is hesitant to raise their concerns due to fear of how they might be seen or pushback and negative reactions. This can be a critical time to provide more granular support to prepare them to embark on the difficult conversation.
The organisation has caught the conflict in gestation. There are no real impacts yet but clients want to support someone to contemplate how their behaviour can be better managed rather than letting conflict arise or low level conflict escalate.
- It may be ‘Dispute Specific Coaching’ where there has been a mediation or even an investigation and individuals need some support in managing their ongoing interactions or consideration of what to do differently in the future if the same sort of conflict triggers arise again.
To assist us to gain insights into people’s behaviour and their needs, moving them from reaction to reflection and then more conscious responding, we use The Birkman Method (TBM).
TBM is a highly credible basis for a conversation with the coached person to access deeper levels of self awareness and particularly their reactive behaviours, emerging under stress. Our coaching experience and abundant peer-reviewed research indicates that self-awareness is the most effective starting point for many successful coaching programs – especially where counterproductive behaviours might be unmonitored. Beyond accurate self-awareness, TBM provides insight into suitable self-regulation approaches producing more consciously measured behaviours in interactions with colleagues or customers.
TBM is an individual profiling tool measuring interests and motivation. It gives greater insight into how both conscious and unconscious behaviour might be experienced by different audiences. TBM feedback allows people to understand how to engage with other’s diverse individual styles more fluently and better handle difficult conversations. Overall the coaching sessions, accompanying TBM report feedback support coachees to apply improved self-management of their more subconscious, reactive stress behaviours.
Our Turnaround Coaching objectives are to coach participants to:
- Develop insights into their role’s array of behavioural demands;
- Understand the possible unproductive impact of their behaviours in times of stress and conflict;
- Develop practical skills to identify and manage behaviours and triggers which might currently escape conscious awareness;
- Identify their goals for managing various levels of conflict effectively;
- Improve language and communication skills in order to address and manage conflict more effectively; and
- Assist others to reduce the harmful impact of conflict on themselves..